City of Mt. Pleasant Street Department staff will be picking up discarded Christmas trees from January 3-14, 2022. This curbside collection can be utilized by attaching two refuse tags to the tree for a total cost of $6.30. Individual tags are available at GreenTree Grocery. Multiple tags can be purchased at Meijer, Ric’s, and City Hall.
Trees are to be placed at the curb, even in areas where normal trash collection is in the alley. If you know you will be using this service, please call (989) 779-5401 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the date the tree will be curbside. All tinsel and plastic bags must be removed, and the trunk ends of the trees face the street. Evergreen wreaths will not be collected. After January 14 trees may be taken to the Materials Recovery Facility or disposed of through the City’s brush chipping program.
Due to the icy road conditions, Republic Services is canceling their trash collection routes in Mt. Pleasant on Tuesday, January 12, 2021. Trash pick up will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week.
PLEASE NOTE: Recycling collection, provided by MMI, will take place as originally scheduled.
During the holidays trash and recyclable materials can accumulate quickly. Below are tips to insure your trash and recycling are collected.
- All cardboard must be flattened.
- Large boxes must be cut into sections no larger than 2’ x 3’. If the cardboard is too stiff or difficult to cut up, you may drop them off at the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), 4208 E. River Road.
- Styrofoam cannot be collected at curbside. Formed Styrofoam, from a new TV or large appliance, may be dropped off at the MRF. Packing peanuts are not accepted, consider saving them for shipping next year’s presents or use them to protect delicate ornaments and other decorations.
- Plastic packaging, such as cellophane “windows” on toy packaging should be discarded in your trash.
- Please do not overfill your trash can. If your trash can has a lid, it must fit securely. All extra trash should be placed in a City refuse bag or tagged with a City refuse tag.
- Need to dispose of old furniture or other large items? Tags can be ordered online. Once payment is received, your tag will be delivered to your door.
- Please place trash and recycling in the designated collection area no later than 7:30 a.m. on collection day.
If you have questions, please contact the Division of Public Works at (989) 779-5401. Thank you for your cooperation, and have a wonderful holiday season.