Due to the November 2018 passage of a statewide ballot proposal, all registered voters in Michigan are now eligible to vote via absentee ballot without a specific reason. This, coupled with our current COVID-19 reality, the City of Mt. Pleasant has experienced a dramatic increase in absentee ballot requests. A record number of individuals participated in absentee voting for the August 2020 Primary Election, this number is expected to grow for the November 3, 2020 General Election.
How to Sign Up for Absentee Voting
If you did not select the absentee ballot option for the November General Election on the August Primary absentee ballot application, which was mailed to your residence, or request a ballot already, you may still vote absentee on November 3rd by:
- Completing an Absentee Voter Application Form which is available at the City Clerk’s office, or can be found online at http://www.michigan.gov/sos. The United States Postal Service is recommending individuals mail absentee ballot applications 15 days prior to Election Day.
Absentee Ballot Mailing Timeline
Absentee ballots were mailed on September 24 to those individuals who previously requested an absentee ballot for the November 3rd election.
Absentee Ballot Return Options
All ballots must be received by 8:00 p.m. on November 3, 2020.
- Drop absentee ballots off at the Absentee Ballot Drop Box located on the sidewalk near the main entrance of City Hall.
- Drop off ballot in person at the City Clerk’s Office located on the second floor of City Hall. 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday
- Absentee ballots can be mailed to City Hall, 320 W. Broadway Street. If mailing your absentee ballot, the United States Postal Service recommends mailing at least 7 days before Election Day.
- In-person absentee voting: This option is available at the City Clerk’s office starting September 24, M-F 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. until Monday, November 2, 2020 at 4 p.m. For your convenience, the City Clerk’s office will also be open for in-person absentee voting on Saturday, October 31, 2020 from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Absentee Ballot Tracking
Absentee ballots can be tracked by visiting www.mi.gov/vote.
Election Day Information
Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 3, 2020. Even though safety protocols will be in place at all polling locations, absentee voting is the safest option during this COVID-19 pandemic. Need a ride to and from the polls? I-Ride is offering free rides. Call (989) 772-9441 to schedule.
Visit www.mi.gov/vote to confirm where you are registered to vote. If you have questions regarding absentee voting, or being added to the permanent absentee voter list, call (989) 779-5361.