Under the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act (MRTMA), it is legal for adults, 21 years of age or older, to grow, possess and use marihuana within certain limitations. This act also creates a commercial market for recreational (adult-use) marihuana. Local regulations related to the commercial market for recreational marihuana were adopted by the City Commission (City Commission Approved Marihuana Establishments Ordinance). A citizen initiative ordinance has also been approved for the November 5, 2019 ballot (Citizen Initiative Recreational Marihuana Establishments Ordinance).
A timeline and detailed information about the two ordinances are described below in the document below.
Recreational Marihuana Background Flyer
The City Commission is seeking public input on the draft ordinance to amend Section 98.37 of the Mt. Pleasant City Code regarding snow and ice removal for commercial, industrial and residential properties.
After numerous City Commission work sessions, a draft still requiring commercial and industrial properties to clear the sidewalks within 18 hours, would also include the following provisions:
- Utilizes the definitions from the General Property Tax Act to identify commercial, industrial and residential properties.
- Provides 48 hours after the cessation of snow for clearing of residential sidewalks.
- Includes provisions for clearing sidewalks in the event of continuous snow fall.
- In addition to the ability to issue a municipal civil infraction, the language includes a provision for costs to be added as a lien on the tax bill if the City clears the sidewalk.
- Indicates that enforcement for residential properties would begin in November 2019, providing one year to educate residential property owners on the change.
The City Commission will hold a public hearing on the draft ordinance on Monday, October 8 at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 320 W. Broadway Street. After the hearing, the City Commission will determine the next preferred steps.
If you are unable to attend the public hearing, opinions can be expressed by mail or email to City Manager Nancy Ridley, 320 W. Broadway Street, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858 or email@example.com.
Current City ordinances and other information can be found at www.mt-pleasant.org/.