In response to the Coronavirus pandemic, and the changes in current business operations, the Mt. Pleasant City Commission recently adopted a resolution temporarily authorizing outdoor business activities. These activities include waiving certain standards and fees for outdoor dining, tent and merchandise display permits.
Please Note: This outdoor business activities extension is separate from the Broadway Street closure, which has the possibility of lasting until September 30, 2020. City staff is reviewing this street closure every two weeks to determine continuation.
The resolution adjusts City policy as follows through November 30, 2020:
- To allow for social distancing, the use of private outdoor parking areas, lawns, or other open spaces for sales, service, or other types of work which would normally be required to occur within an enclosed building will be permitted. Certain standards will still apply.
- Fees will be waived for Outdoor Dining and Merchandise Display licenses. These licenses permit dining or merchandise sales on adjacent sidewalks or on-street parking spaces.
- Outdoor Dining License eligibility can be expanded beyond Downtown Mt. Pleasant. Businesses without on-site parking areas would have the opportunity to use adjacent on-street parking for dining or merchandise sales.
- Fees will be waived for tent permits when associated with a business otherwise operating within an enclosed building. These permits can be issued beyond the normal 30-day limit.
- Staff will have the ability to authorize Outdoor Dining and Merchandise Display Licenses to accelerate the approval process.
- Alcohol service in outdoor areas will be subject to the satisfaction of certain requirements and approval by the Director of Public Safety.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has created many challenges for businesses large and small,” said City Planner Jacob Kain. “Recognizing that business-as-usual is not possible in many instances right now, this resolution will help support our local business community create a safe environment for their employees and customers as well as operate in accordance with federal, state, and local guidelines.”
For more details visit http://www.mt-pleasant.org/departments/division_of_community_services/downtown_development/