The City will hold a series of public open houses regarding the proposed 2050 Master Plan. The proposed plan can be viewed online at www.mtpleasant2050.com.
On Wednesday, March 25, project consultant McKenna Associates will hold an open house from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Rotunda of the University Center on the campus of Central Michigan University.
On Thursday, April 23, McKenna Associates will hold two open houses. One will occur at Cops and Donuts – Central Precinct, 1327 S. Mission Street, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The other will be held from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Mt. Pleasant’s City Hall, 320 W. Broadway Street.
Hundreds of community members participated in formal and informal activities during a four-day event in April 2019, hosted by the City and McKenna Associates. Participants shared their vision for Mt. Pleasant in the year 2050. In addition, hundreds of additional stakeholders participated in online surveys to further refine and validate the vision.
“The proposed plan establishes a clear vision for the City’s future,” said Mt. Pleasant City Planner Jacob Kain. “We are excited for the community to review the plan and learn more about how it will guide the community over the next several decades.”
The plan is organized around specific goals and objectives including Sustainable Land Use, Connected Mobility Systems, Focused Redevelopment, Exceptional Parks and Public Spaces, and Innovative Services and Aspirations.
A series of public hearings will follow later this year leading to formal adoption of the plan.
Summary of Minutes of the regular meeting of the City Commission held Monday, February 24, 2020, at 7:00 p.m., in the City Commission Room.
Parks and Public Spaces Director Bundy gave a departmental presentation.
City Planner Kain and Mayor Joseph presented the 2019 Community Improvement Awards to the selected property owners.
Received petitions and communications.
Approved the following items on the Consent Calendar:
- Minutes of the regular meeting of the City Commission held February 10, 2020; 2) Bid of Central Asphalt of Mt. Pleasant, MI for the 2020 Pickard Street Overlay Project.
- Bid of Wolverine Sealcoating, LLC of Jackson, MI for the City’s annual crack sealing project.
- Bid of Robbin Harsh Excavating of Clare, MI for Parking Lot #7 Reconstruction and appropriate budget amendment from the TIFA.
- Bid of Duperon Corporation of Saginaw, MI for the purchase of a Wastewater Washer Compactor and appropriate budget amendment from the Wastewater Reserve Fund
- Appointment of Corey Friedrich as the representative of the Planning Commission to the Zoning Board of Appeals for a one-year term.
- MDOT resolutions for the addition and deletion of streets to the City’s local street system.
- Resolution to Allow for Partial Funding from MDOT for the 2020 Pickard Street Mill and Overlay Project.
- Warrants and Payrolls.
Approved Resolutions #3 and #4 for Special Assessment District #1-2020.
Received proposed 2050 Master Plan as recommended by the Planning Commission and released for review and comment.
Approved budget amendments to the DDA budget and to the Public Safety Building account.
Authorized the Mayor and Clerk to sign a second amendment to the 2013 Real Estate Purchase Agreement with Mr. Olivieri as drafted by the City Attorney according to the parameters as proposed.
Postponed appointments to various board and commissions until next meeting.
Approved and conducted a closed session pursuant to subsection 8(c) of the Open Meetings Act for strategy and negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement.
Approved the labor contract with full-time firefighters represented by the POLC as presented.
Held Work Session Discussions on potential drain easement for Mission Creek Dam.; and recommendation from TIFA regarding $80,000 from Economic Initiatives Fund.
Adjourned the meeting at 9:41 p.m.