Here are five things to watch at the Jan. 22 City Commission meeting:
- Material collection licenses and penalties: In January 2017, the City Commission approved ordinance changes that restricted the hours of operation for refuse collection in certain zones, as well as provided penalties and allowed for an exception process. As part of the approval, a one-year sunset clause was added to the ordinance. Since then, the changes have had the desired positive impacts on the adjacent residential neighborhoods. The sunset clause must be removed in order for the law to remain in effect. The City Commission will hold a public hearing on the removal of the sunset clause and consider its approval.
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) bottles: A sole source purchase for 44 SCBA bottles will be considered. This purchase will replace the carbon fiber bottles used by the fire department, which have a March 2018 expiration date, with new aluminum bottles that do not have expiration dates.
- Tree trimming and removal: A bid recommendation for F & K Tree Services to complete the necessary tree trimming and removals within City Right-of-ways during 2018 will be considered.
- Proposed character-based zoning code and map: The City Commission will consider the approval of the proposed zoning ordinance and related zoning map. To see more information about the draft character-based zoning code, click here.
- Patrol vehicle camera systems: Several years ago, the City purchased and installed cameras in the Police Department’s patrol vehicles. Central Michigan University Police Department (CMUPD) was using the same equipment vendor, so the City entered into an agreement with CMUPD to share one system. As part of the agreement, the cost of future hardware replacements would be split evenly between MPPD and CMUPD. The hardware is now in need of replacement and the City Commission will consider the recommendation to approve the cost of the shared purchase.
To see the full City Commission agenda and packet for Jan. 22, 2018, click here.
Mt. Pleasant City Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the second and fourth Monday of every month. Meetings begin at 7 p.m.