Here are five things to watch at the April 23, 2018 City Commission meeting:
- Greeks Clean the Streets: A proclamation will be read to recognize the Greeks Clean the Streets program. Greeks Clean the Streets is a partnership between the City of Mt. Pleasant and the Central Michigan University fraternities and sororities in which students volunteer to pick up trash in neighborhoods north of CMU’s campus several times each year. Since inception in 2012, close to 741 students have volunteered their time during 25 events to beautify and better the residential student neighborhoods by removing nearly 470 bags of trash.
- Citizens’ Academy 2018: Mayor Lents will present certificates to the 22 participants of the third annual Citizens’ Academy of Mt. Pleasant. Designed to engage members of the community to expand their knowledge of the structure and functions of local government, community members attended seven 2.5-hour sessions throughout February, March and April to explore the City’s day-to-day operations.
- Community Improvement Awards: Since 1979, the Planning Commission has presented a Community Improvement Award for a rebuilt or renovated residential and/or commercial property. These awards are a way for the Planning Commission to thank and acknowledge the property owners for investment in our community and making our neighborhoods better places to live. Properties on which construction was finalized prior to December 2017 were considered for recognition this year. Three properties were selected, and the owners of each property will be presented with awards produced by the students from the Graphic Arts program at Gratiot-Isabella Technical Education Center.
- Capital Improvement Plan: Assistant Finance Director Chris Saladine will give a presentation on the proposed 2019-2023 Capital Improvement Plan. See the plan here.
- Medical Marihuana Facilities Ordinances: Zoning and regulatory ordinances regarding the Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act will be introduced and the City Commission will consider setting a public hearing for May 29, 2018. See the draft ordinances here.
To see the full City Commission agenda and packet for April 23, 2018, click here.
Mt. Pleasant City Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the second and fourth Monday of every month. Meetings begin at 7 p.m.