Here are five things to watch at the Jan. 8 City Commission meeting:
- Oath of Office Administration and Mayor/Vice Mayor Election: As the meeting begins, City Clerk Jeremy Howard will administer the oath of office to newly-elected members William Joseph and Kristin LaLonde. The City Commission will then conduct an election of the mayor and vice mayor.
- Material Collection Licenses and Penalties: In January 2017, the City Commission approved ordinance changes that restricted the hours of operation for refuse collection in certain zones, as well as provided penalties and allowed for an exception process. As part of the approval, a one-year sunset clause was added to the ordinance. Since then, the changes have had the desired positive impacts on the adjacent residential neighborhoods. The sunset clause must be removed in order for the law to remain in effect. The City Commission will consider setting a public hearing on the removal of the sunset clause for Jan. 22, 2018
- Temporary Traffic Control Order: An “Electric Vehicle Only” sign was placed at the electric car charging station parking space in Lot #2 (Jockey Alley) 90 days ago as a temporary traffic control order. With no comments received during the 90-day time period, the City Commission will consider the approving the order as final.
- Reimbursement of Airport Tree Abatement Project Costs: In 2017 the City Commission approved contracts related to the approach slope clearing project for the Mt. Pleasant Municipal Airport. The next step in the process is to approve the grant agreement with the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) to fund 95 percent of these costs. The City Commission will consider the resolution authorizing the mayor to sign the agreement.
- Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act (MMMFLA): The City Commission will consider directing City Attorney and City staff to begin drafting ordinance to opt-in to the Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act (MMMFLA).
To see the full City Commission agenda and packet for Jan. 8, 2018, click here.
Mt. Pleasant City Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the second and fourth Monday of every month. Meetings begin at 7 p.m.