During the holiday season, we all tend to generate more trash. Here are some trash/recycling tips to make this a hassle-free holiday season.
- Remember the 34-gallon rule. Trash cans may not exceed 34-gallons in size.
- Did I use enough tags or bags? Extra trash that exceeds the top of the can must be individually tagged with a City refuse tag or placed in a City refuse bag.
- Remember the 50 lb. weight limit. Cans or bags that are deemed too heavy will not be picked up.
- Split it up. If you have a large number of trash bags, put a few bags out each week.
- Be on time. Trash and recycling must be at the collection site (curb or alley) by 7:00 a.m. If you set it out later, you risk not having it collected.
- Prepare properly. Rinse out plastic bottles and cans. Flatten all cardboard boxes. Large boxes must be cut down to 2’ x 3’ sections for curbside recycling. Flattened large boxes may also be taken to the Materials Recovery Facility (4208 E. River Road) as well as large pieces of Styrofoam. Bubble wrap and Styrofoam packing peanuts can be included with your trash.
- Using extra bins for recycling. If you have more recycling that can fit inside your City bin, you can use another container such as an old laundry basket, or plastic container, do not use cardboard boxes.
- Wrapping paper is not recyclable. Wrapping paper is not recyclable at the MRF. Please do not place it in your recycling bins, it will not be collected.
- OOPS! What happened? If you receive an OOPS card from the refuse or recycling collection crews, it will state a reason why your refuse/recycling was not collected.