Here are 5 things to watch at the Nov. 27 City Commission meeting:
- Minor in Possession Ordinance Amendment: Last year, the Legislature passed, and the Governor signed into law, 2016 PA 357, which amended the Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP) statute. The City’s local ordinance related to minor in possession must be amended in order to comply with the new state law. A public hearing will be held on the initial proposed changes but no action will be taken at this meeting as the City Attorney will propose additional changes at a future meeting and another public hearing will be scheduled.
- TIFA Plan Amendment: The City Commission will consider the amendment to the Tax Increment Finance Authority (TIFA) plan to add fire safety grants as an eligible project. This reimbursement grant program assists downtown property owners with the cost to install necessary fire protection systems while maintaining and/or restoring the historic character of the building.
- Brownfield Redevelopment Authority Plan Amendment: The City Commission will receive the recommended amendment to the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority Plan for the West Broadway Revitalization project and set a public hearing for Dec. 11, 2017.
- 2018 Facilities License Agreements for Mt. Pleasant Little League, Mt. Pleasant Girls’ Fast Pitch and Mt. Pleasant Baseball: In February 2017, the City Commission approved agreements with Mt. Pleasant Little League, Mt. Pleasant Girls’ Fast Pitch Softball and Mt. Pleasant Baseball. The agreements outlined the shared expectations regarding the use of the City fields for these programs, and fees for the use of the fields were excluded based on the mutual benefit to the organizations and City residents. The City Commission will consider authorizing the continuation of each of the agreements.
- 2018 No-Fee Brush Collection Program: During the 2018 budget work sessions, the City Commission requested staff develop parameters for a no-fee brush collection program for 2018. The preferred parameters included a collection two times per year. In addition, discussions were held about the appropriate fee structure for this service during the remainder of the year. The City Commission will receive the recommendation as requested, and provide feedback and direction to staff.
Following the regular meeting, a work session will be held on to discuss the Michigan Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act.
To see the full City Commission agenda and packet for Nov. 27, 2017, click here.
Mt. Pleasant City Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the second and fourth Monday of every month. Meetings begin at 7 p.m.