Here are 5 things to watch at the June 12 City Commission meeting…
- Pedestrian lighting on West Broadway Street: The City received a $60,000 allocation during the spring Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal 2% request distribution to fund pedestrian lighting along West Broadway Street. The City Commission will consider two potential options for the utilization of these funds for the project.
- 2018-2022 Capital Improvement Plan: The proposed Capital Improvement Plan was received by the City Commission at the April 10 meeting. Following extensive review and feedback, the City Commission will consider approving the 2018-2022 Capital Improvement Plan with changes to the funding source for new sidewalks in 2018, which was recommended after a work session in May.
- Outdoor Dining Policy: The Commission will consider approving the amended Outdoor Dining Policy, which clarifies the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility requirements, and states that on-street barrier free parking cannot be used for decks.
- City Assessor appointment: The City Commission will vote on the appointment of Chris Coucke of Coucke Property Services, LLC, as City Assessor. Chris is a Michigan Master Assessing Officer MMAO(4) which is the highest level of assessing certification. Chris would be responsible for all assessing responsibilities for the City, and would have office hours at City Hall on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Contracting for assessing services is becoming more common throughout the state due to a limited number of certified assessors and because it provides more depth in the office.
- Statewide bicycle passing laws: The City Commission will consider authorizing the Mayor to sign letters to legislators that express support of having a statewide law that requires motorists to provide a specified minimum distance between the car and a bicyclist when passing.
To see the full City Commission agenda and packet for June 12, 2017, click here.
Mount Pleasant City Commission meetings are held at City Hall on the second and fourth Monday of every month. Meetings begin at 7 p.m.