City of Mt. Pleasant Holiday Hours
City offices will be closed on July 3, 2020. There will be no delay in refuse and recycling pick up.
Firework Regulation and Safety Reminders
As Independence Day approaches, now is a good time to review firework safety tips and regulations.
City of Mt. Pleasant Fireworks Ordinance
This ordinance states a person may only discharge or use consumer fireworks on private property on June 29 – July 4; from 11 a.m. – 11:45 p.m. On all other days of the year, fireworks may not be discharged within the City limits. Violations shall be punishable with fines of $500 up to $1,000.
Additionally, a minor shall not possess, ignite, discharge or use consumer fireworks. Fireworks shall not be used while a person is under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, or during times when a burning ban has been established by the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids, MI. For a list of burning restrictions by county, visit http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/burnpermits/.
For those planning on discharging fireworks this July Fourth holiday, please follow the City regulations as stated above and practice these safety tips:
1. Read and follow all warning and instructions.
2. Never allow children to play with fireworks of any kind.
3. Wear protective clothing, including eye wear.
4. Only light devices on smooth, flat surfaces away from residential areas, dry leaves and flammable materials.
5. Always keep a hose or bucket of water nearby in case of malfunction.
6. Never try to re-light fireworks that have not fully functioned.
The best way to protect your family is to avoid the use of fireworks at home entirely.