Due to the drought like conditions this past summer, some trees are beginning to shed their leaves earlier than usual. Residents are reminded to not rake leaves into the streets until the week of October 22. Leaf piles can block and clog storm water catch basins. Raking leaves into the streets this far ahead of the scheduled collection should be avoided.
Residents who wish to rake their yards ahead of the City’s collection schedule may bag and dispose of the leaves for a fee at the Material Recovery Facility, located at 4208 E. River Rd., Mt. Pleasant. Leaves may also be mulched with a mulching lawnmower.
The City’s leaf collection schedule is as follows:
- Week of October 22: Residents to rake leaves into low piles, taking care not to cover catch basins.
- Week of October 29: Staff will collect leaves in a City-wide sweep.
- Week of November 5: Residents to rake leaves into low piles, taking care not to cover catch basins.
- Week of November 12: Staff will collect leaves in a City-wide sweep.
- Week of November 19: Residents to rake leaves into low piles, taking care not to cover catch basins.
- November 26-28: Final collection of leaves in a city-wide sweep. Any leaves left in the street after the crews have made their final pass will not be collected and are the responsibility of the homeowner.
Residents are asked to rake leaves into low piles and take caution so that leaves do not cover catch basins or are placed too far out in the street so as to cause a traffic obstruction. On High and Pickard Streets, where high traffic volume prohibits leaves in the gutter, residents should rake the leaves onto the rights-of-way, between the curb and sidewalk. Residents who live on any other streets other than High and Pickard should rake leaves into low piles in the street gutter. Yard waste bags should not be used this collection is for leaves only. Leaf piles must not contain garden or shrubbery clippings, dead grass, branches, trim board or other material.
PLEASE NOTE: that during leaf pick up weeks City staff makes one sweep through the entire City. It is suggested that leaves be raked to the curb before Monday of pick up weeks.
Questions may be directed to the Division of Public Works, 989-779-5401.