Municipal Water Supplies within Isabella County Scheduled for Michigan Department of Environmental Quality PFAS Water Test

MT. PLEASANT, Mich. – The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) has begun a statewide initiative to test drinking water from all community water supplies. The test is looking for a group of manmade chemicals called per-and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). MDEQ is taking this precautionary step of testing these drinking water sources to determine if public health actions are needed. Below is information provided by the MDEQ.

What is PFAS?
It is not uncommon to find low levels of PFAS in drinking water supplies, as PFAS can be found in firefightingfoams, stain repellants, nonstick cookware, waterproof clothing, food wrappers, and many other household products. They do not break down in the environment and move easily into water.

Who is paying for this initial testing?
Funding for initial testing is provided by legislation signed by Governor Rick Snyder as a supplemental appropriation for the current fiscal year.

Who is conducting the initial testing?
The MDEQ has contracted with AECOM, a private environmental firm to conduct the statewide sampling.

Municipal Samples
The City of Mt. Pleasant, Union Township and the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe will be tested separately. These three entities are coordinating efforts in both the testing and communication processes. If you are unsure of who your water system/provider is, please refer to your water bill.

Testing Date and Results
Currently, Isabella County is scheduled for testing during the week of October 15, 2018. According to the MDEQ, it is anticipated sample results will be received four to six weeks following sample collection. Individual entity test results, when received, will be provided in parts per trillion (ppt) which is the equivalent of one drop of water in 20 Olympic-size swimming pools.

What if I have my own well?
If you have your own private well you should contact the MDEQ Environmental Assistance Center at 1-800-662-9278.

Can I drink the water?
With the information available at this time, there is no reason to believe the water is unsafe to drink. If you have individual concerns, bottled water may be an option for you prior to the receipt of test results.

Updated Water Information
Updated water information can be found on the Central Michigan Health Department website at or by calling the MDEQ Environmental Assistance Center at 1-800-662-9278.