In response to the flooding event, the City of Mt. Pleasant is offering its residents and property owners a special curbside collection of water-damaged heavy items on Saturday, July 1. Disposal instructions are as follows:
- Items should be placed curbside, without blocking the roadway or storm drains.
- Please do not place regular refuse and recycling with the flood-damaged items.
- Collection is curbside only (no alley collection).
- Residents do not need to use City refuse bags or tags. Residents may use regular garbage bags, if necessary, to contain flood-damaged items.
- Residents may set out items now, but no later than 7 a.m. on Saturday, July 1. (Items set out now may be collected before Saturday.)
- There is no cost for the collection.
- Acceptable items include, but are not limited to: Carpet, padding, drywall, tile, wood flooring, furniture and cardboard.
- Items not eligible for collection include tires, fuel-based power tools, anything containing Freon or fuel, and household hazardous waste such as pesticides and paint cans.
Regular refuse and recycling collection will remain on schedule this week. Large Item Stickers are not needed for the July 1 collection of flood-damaged items. There is no cost for the collection.
Please do not attempt to remove flood-damaged items from a basement until water has receded and the space can be safely accessed. All flood-damaged items should be considered contaminated and unsafe for use. City officials strongly discourage scavenging items placed at the curb for disposal.
For more information, call Public Works at (989) 779-5401.
You must be logged in to post a comment.